Monday, March 1, 2010

Stockpiling

I did A LOT of cooking this past weekend...but don't have anything to really show for it and can't even recommend any recipes since we haven't tasted anything yet! I was busy making recipes to put away in the freezer for either the last couple weeks of pregnancy when I might not feel like hitting the grocery store or making meals and/or for some easy meals once our daughter arrives!

All in all, I made 7 different entrees. This was my first time experimenting with bulk cooking but I think I could really get into it. If you're interested, moneysavingmom.com is hosting a freezer cooking day today so you can read more about her process and what she's whipping up as I type! I'm amazed she got all her groceries for around $61 for 25 meals...my total bill was about twice that for 14 meals (which will really end up being 28 meals for just the 2 of us)!

So here's what you can look forward to hearing about in the coming weeks (assuming that a) the recipes turn out well and survive the freezer and b) that I actually do any blogging in the next couple of weeks!)

Mexican Veggie Casserole
Firecracker Enchiladas
Oriental Beef & Noodles
Chicken Taco Soup
Ham & Asparagus Bake (in case she comes her due date around Easter...gotta have ham!)
Zippy Turkey Bake
Baked Ziti

I have a teeny tiny freezer and was able to fit all of these in 8x8 foil pans and ziploc bags and still have tons of space leftover. I have a couple more things I hope to get a chance to make before delivery day but I'm really happy that I've at least set aside these items!

2 comments:

Valerie and Krzysztof said...

One of the many great things about being married to a brewer is the plethora of freezers we have around. We have 3 fridge/freezer combos, 2 chest freezers, and a mini fridge. Crazy, huh? Unfortunately there are only 2 freezers that are able to accommodate food (and only 1 fridge!), but I love that extra space for freezer cooking! I almost always double recipes that are especially time consuming or that get cooked in a crock pot and then freeze half for an easy meal later on.

Abby said...

Girl, that is impressive! I didn't cook at ALL while I was pregnant (and my blog suffered.) Thank goodness my parents came to the rescue after C. was born!

Can't wait to hear how it all tastes!